The Reiki Precepts
The best way to utilize the precepts is to sit quietly in meditation and contemplate one at a time. Recall them multiple times a day. What comes up for you?
Here is one version of the precepts in English, followed by the original Japanese. See how it feels to pronounce the Japanese words; savor their open vowel sounds
- Today only —– Kyo dakewa
- Do not anger —– Ikaru na
- Do not worry —– Shinpai suna
- Be grateful —– kansha shite
- Practice diligently —– gyo o hageme
- Show compassion to yourself and others —– hito ni shinsetsu ni
Another version of the precepts
- Just for today…
- Do not bear anger, for anger is an illusion
- Do not worry, for fear is a distraction
- Be true to your WAY and your BEING
- Show COMPASSION to yourself and others
Ready for the next step? Try chanting them in Japanese for 15 minutes!
- Kyo dakewa
- Ikaru na
- Shinpai suna
- Kansha shite
- Gyo o hageme
- Hito ni shinsetsu ni
When you start to work with the Reiki Precepts, you start to recognize different ways that you can incorporate them into every day life. Have fun. Play with them. See how they work together.