Easy to prepare and enjoy after spending time outside with friends and family. Use ingredients fresh from the nearest farmstand!
Simple Pressed Cucumber Salad
- Cucumbers sliced paper thin
- ½ tsp. salt in 1 cup water
- Pinch of dill
- Soak cucumbers in brine 30 min
- Drain and dry slightly by pressing slices between paper towels
- Sprinkle with dill and serve.
Overnight Cucumber Salad
- 3 large cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar (use more or less, to taste)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 Cup thinly sliced red onion
- Toss cucumber with salt in large bowl. Cover with a plate that rests directly on cucumbers and add weight such as a 1-pound can to press down on the cucumber slices. Let stand 1 to 2 hours.
- Drain in a colander and rinse well.
- Combine lemon juice, oil, sugar, and dill in serving bowl.
- Add the onion and cucumber; mix well.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
- Vine ripe tomatoes, sliced
- Sweet onion
- Olive oil
- Feta or fresh mozzarella
- In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, and fresh mozzarella or feta
- Add olive oil, salt to taste, pepper, oregano, and a tiny bit of water
- Add in cucumber if desired
Healing with Whole Foods, P. Pitchford, North Atlantic Books; 2002