While you may think it’s more appropriate for colder months, sipping a warm soup in Summer can help the body stay hydrated and also induce gentle perspiration to keep the body cool. You can add slightly cooling (in nature, not temperature) foods and herbs to balance the warm temperature of the soup.
This simple summer soup will assist the Heart in blood circulation and qi dispersion while helping to eliminate excess heat.
- 6 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 cup beets
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh off the cob
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame oil
- ½ oz carthamus flowers (commonly known as safflower, this is an herb for blood circulation in TCM)
- Cut the beets and carrots into cubes and stew in the stock for 15 minutes.
- Cut the corn off the cob and place the carthamus flowers in a sachet or tea ball.
- Add the corn, carthamus sachet and sesame oil; simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Allow it to cool, and enjoy!