Herbal medicine is one of the principal branches of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM).
Herbal Medicine is the use of elements derived from plants, animals, and minerals to treat illness. These elements are collectively referred to as “herbs.” Herbal medicine is often used in conjunction with acupuncture treatments although some practitioners specialize in herbal medicine as the primary or only mode of treatment.
How does Herbal Medicine work?
Herbal medicine is part of the larger healing system of Traditional Chinese Medicine. In some respects, herbal medicine is an extension of nutritional advice. Although dietary changes can bring improved health, herbal medicine may be easier to incorporate into daily life than a complete change of diet.
How can Herbal Medicine benefit me?
Herbal medicine can provide an effective alternative when Western medications are ineffective or poorly tolerated. The following are some of the conditions that can be helped through herbal medicine.
- Women’s health issues such as:
- Lack of menses, irregular, long or short cycles, painful menses, heavy menses
- PMS symptoms such as mood changes, breast tenderness, bloating, or other symptom that appears monthly
- Increasing reproductive health, fertility issues
- Promoting a healthier pregnancy
- Addressing symptoms of discomfort or other difficulties during pregnancy including problems with fetus
- Conditions such as fibroids, breast myoma, pcos, endometriosis, etc.
- Post-menstrual issues such as sweating, hot flashes, etc.
- Digestive disorders such as nausea, vomiting, appetite issues (too much, not enough), bloating, gas, indigestion, heartburn, constipation, diarrhea
- Urinary difficulties such as frequent, nighttime, irregular urination
- Respiratory disorders such as cough, cold, flu, chronic asthma, frequent illnesses
- Emotional disorders such as stress, anxiety, depression, anger, frustration
- Chronic health conditions that have myriad symptoms or unexplained symptoms
- Sleep disorders such as trouble falling or staying asleep, insomnia, excessive dreaming, waking not refreshed, sleepy during the day
- Chronic pain conditions (usually require modifications to lifestyle and diet as well)
Before modern pharmaceuticals, herbal remedies were delivered in the form of a tea made from the ingredients, or added to soup or other foods. Those practices still exist. Today, herbal ingredients are commonly manufactured into formulas, standardized for potency and purity of all elements. Herbal formulas come in several different forms:
- Granules – These are homogeneous substances that have been extracted and preserved in freeze-dried granules (like the granular instant beverages you may have seen). The practitioner combines the granules to create a unique, customized formula. Herbal formulas are consumed multiple times a day.
- Pills (also called Patent Formulas) – These are herbal formulas in pill form, and may contain a single herb or a standard combination of herbs. Herbal supplements are generally taken two to three times a day. You are the time release.
- Raw Herbs – This traditional method of delivery allows for the practitioner to custom design the ingredients and dosage specific to your needs. The patient boils the herbal formula and then drinks the liquid derived from it multiple times a day.
Calandra Center for Health & Wellness carries only high-quality herbal formulas that have been tested for potency and safety (including testing for heavy metals, pesticides, and microorganisms), and that meet standards for GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices).
For New and Returning Clients
Initial appointments are 90 minutes long; follow-up appointments are 60 minutes.
We require new acupuncture clients to schedule a complimentary 15-minute phone consultation before their first appointment. This gives you the opportunity to discuss your health concerns and learn how your practitioner will work with you to resolve them.
Information for Clients
Acupuncture Services & Pricing
- New Patient Acupuncture (90 minutes), $250
- Follow-up Acupuncture (60 minutes), $105
- Follow-up Acupuncture + Energy Medicine* Combo (60 minutes), $175
- Ear Seeding (10 minutes), $20
- Cupping (30 minutes), $50
- LifeWave Coaching (30 minutes), $20 (does not include cost of patches, which are $5-$7 each)
* Energy Medicine = Either Reiki or Access Consciousness Bars